Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On Modern Men (and Women, one in particular)

Soudtrack to this post:



A wine-induced moment, which I shouldn’t post because I will probably look and sound like a fool tomorrow but…

I will start by saying this: for sure, there is NEVER a time to drink-and-drive!
But, there is a time to drink-and-dial; and a time to drink-and-text; and a time to drink-and-write an e-mail. But the worst is the time to drink-and-knock at her door! Don’t ever do that, unless you drink-and-text your intentions first…
They are probably all wrong, by the way…

See, the way I see it is: there is an advantage to drink-and-write an e-mail versus the others…
a) Your spelling is corrected by Microsoft word (especially if English is your 3rd language…)
b) You can slur and nobody can hear you ;)
c) You can save it as a draft and read it the day after, understand what an idiot you are and cancel all of it.
Or… if you had enough wine you just push send! That’s what I am likely to do with Lady K.

Then what? Well, once you push send it’s too late; you stepped on the threshold (actually “beyond” the threshold) of the point of non-return. Lady K’s vortex sucks-you in, and its likely to digest you then spit-out your bones and shoes (I don’t blame her for spitting out the shoes and dirty sox… yuck! But I bet my bones still taste pretty good!).

The ancient Romans used to say: -In Vino veritas. (In wine lies the truth). I am definitely under that spell right now…
Why the ancient people always seem to know better? Are we modern humans so weak?
But are we really modern after all? Or is it just our technology what defines us “modern” versus our ancestors? I mean, are we hiding our weaknesses behind technological devices that help us to be better articulated (or replace human presence at once…)? Julius Caesar Used to be an excellent Lawyer and orator. Did he have the luxury of accessing the Web before writing his speeches and addressing the crowds? But boy did he win over people’s attention and the crowds! Socrates did not need the web to formulate his theories either!

Wait a second! I am not the one avoiding the conversation here! And Lady K. knows I do not need to hide behind an e-mail to speak the truth.

What’s up with us, post-industrial revolution, post-romanticism and post 1960’s offspring? We have all these eras to learn from, good and bad, but instead of becoming better communicators we are getting worse. Can we, without manipulating our purest feelings (And I’m not talking only about guys here!), open up ourselves, look into someone’s eyes and speak the truth? I mean “the truth”! And not let some materialistic society-driven, twisted, standardized “I wanna be someone else” thought get in the way?

What happened to our species? 5000 years ago, King Gilgamesh used to be way tougher, and at the same time way more romantic and genuine than us.
Is this a “Modern society”? Where is the evolution?

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts here. I like your tie in to Julius Caesar and Socrates. It's easy to hide behind technology. Watch everyone burying their ears in headphones and noses in iphones (as you mentioned). We're losing people skills ( and I'm surely part of the equation), but as a fellow truth seeker I liked that you pointed out how much more pure and alive it is to speak your truth and that coming out from behind "Mama's legs" gives you a leg up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, btw. C. Aurora de Blas

    ReplyDelete